March 12, 2010

I hate you internet


I have come to hate the internet.... I guess it's really a love/hate thing.

The Big Dubya started a blog when we were expecting our first baby.... I thought it was kind of silly, but then I saw the community he was becoming part of and I wanted to write too -- so this site was born. It's been a place to vent, to celebrate, to seek advice...... it gave birth to TheWhinery, which I want to be so much more than it is -- but, life gets in the way and it's just a hobby still trying to get off the ground.

Then came Facebook and Twitter and it all became a blur. I loved the ability to reconnect with old friends on Facebook -- to keep track of the busy lives that I am a part of -- and then I made new "friends" on Twitter.

I learned of the death of a dear friend on Facebook -- nobody should ever learn of their friend's death by reading eulogies left on his Facebook page -- but I did.

I scrambled for confirmation -- for someone to tell me what happened.

The unthinkable was confirmed and I realized that we hadn't seen each other in way too long.... I hadn't met his beautiful little girl.... I had only met his wife once or twice and had yet to make her my friend.... he always said we'd be friends if we had chance to spend some time together.

We had made plans several times to get together -- only to have something come up and plans were postponed, rescheduled, broken...

I suppose these are the regrets everyone has when they lose a dear friend --

I began to forgive the internet a little bit -- and then I got sucked into a story that actually made news. I believed a story one of my Twitter "friends" told about a harrowing incident in an airport with her small child. I was so offended and angry -- I too, had bad experiences with airport personnel and children, but nothing like this.

I was then mortified to learn that I'd been had -- the whole story was made up. I'm not sure why I was so upset -- yes, I blindly trusted this woman..... kind of serves me right for putting my faith in someone I don't know at all. But, I believed her and asked my "friends" to believe her too.

I quit Twitter immediately and I've all but stopped blogging.

I'd like to get back to blogging -- I'm just kind of worn down.....

1 comments:

Arwen said...

I quit Twitter awhile ago, it didn't do it for me.
I want to blog again, I even have interesting things to blog about...but I am feeling worn down too...

 
Blogging Secret