October 22, 2008

Halloween


Remember the days of Halloween from our childhood?
It was before kids opted to have a Halloween party rather than to "risk" going trick-or-treating.

It was before hospitals offered to X-ray a kid's candy before it was deemed safe enough to take home to eat.
It was before malls hosted trick-or-treating because it was "safer" than going door to door in your own neighborhood

To collect our loot, we had an old pillow case or a plastic bag that the bank gave out for free.... now kids have embroidered treat bags from Pottery Barn.
Our parents picked up a costume in a cardboard box.... it looked something like this


Today, Batman looks like this
When did we lose the simplicity?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Whatever happened to those plastic halloween costumes with the super cheap masks? I miss those. I had a difficult time finding a witch costume for Abby that wasn't slutified. She's THREE!

Arwen said...

Yes, the joys of slutty girl halloween outfits freaks me out. My mom made my outfit every year (how I am not sure since she was on the Braintree school committee and getting a masters and a single mother of 2 but she did it).
I just went to the Family Watchdog site to see how many perverts are in my neighborhood and fortunately there is only one registered. I think we will be safe (especially with a 90 pound german shepherd going out with us).

WILLIAM said...

I liked those old costumes..the crinkly plasctic suits...you could hear the trick or treaters walking from a mile away.

 
Blogging Secret