October 28, 2006

So, there I am standing in WalMart with a palm full of vomit...



Okay, it's been printed here on more than one occasion that I have some snobby tendencies and that, in general, I don't like people.

So, if I have to go to a place like WalMart on a weekend, it's very likely that I'll do it first thing in the morning.... like when they first open -- simply so I can avoid "the element" and the frustration that they cause me. At 7:00 am the store is relatively empty and I can get in and out without wanting to open up a social services kiosk.

Look, I think people should be able to raise their kids anyway they want (within reason of course), and I'm sure that my parenting tactics may seem odd to some..... however...... if they want to tell their whining toddler to "shut the fuck up" I would prefer that I not be subjected to it -- because in my tiny little mind using that kind of language in that kind of tone is abuse and I don't want to bear witness to such behavior.

So, the 'lil man and I headed to WalMart this morning -- I needed to get the Halloween candy and a couple of other items. We got there and he was in a great mood -- he got a real kick out of running from the car to the store in the rain. He loves to smile at all the shoppers & employees -- and in someway it's nice that he's able to make their day -- because he really is enough to turn their "I'm at WalMart at 7:00am" scowl into a smile.

He's been teething something fierce the past few days -- he's cutting some really big molars and as a result, he puts everything in his mouth -- this time, it was his entire fist in an effort to let his little fingers massage his gums. Then I heard it.... poor 'lil guy gagged himself and it started to erupt. It's instinct I guess..... you cup your hand and you try to catch it...... but then what? The parenting books do not cover this..... he's startled and has vomit all done his jacket and you've only got one free hand to deal with and/or contain the mess.

In some ways, being in WalMart is a blessing -- where better than a place that sells the cleaning supplies? So, I headed for the paper towels -- and then thought "NO, Mrs Big Dubya -- use your head..... this is a job for babywipes!" I won't even start in on how I'm awed by our parents who raised us in a pre-baby wipe era...... so I went to the baby aisle and busted open a package of baby wipes. We were able to get ourselves back to a presentable condition, grabbed the candy and got back on the road home.........

Such is Saturday morning in casa Dubya....

4 comments:

Arwen said...

when I am travelling and have insomnia I go shopping at Walmart. I am always suprised to see 7-10 years with their (presumably) parents in walmart in the middle of the night and they are NOT buying emergency drugs for illness.

Kara said...

I can not adequately explain how much I hate Walmart especially as it is a necessary evil. I can't quite wrap my head around why the Pittsfield, MA Walmart is much nicer than the ones here in suburbia. It's either because the Pittsfield Walmart is in Pittsfield and the environs make it look nicer than it actually is... OR since we have so many alternatives here (namely a very sexy Target right across the street)that Walmart doesn't even make an effort.
Nice save with the wipes!

Sue said...

I hate the Wal Mart too. Can't wait for the Target to open here!!

And, I'm sure you weren't even the oddest sight in Wal Mart either, if it's any consolation.

Melissa said...

I HATE wal-mart, but some times youve just got to do it. We got to TArget, but always in the evening, becuase there are less people for my kid to run into. (She won't sit in the cart anymore, two is such a lovely age.) Anyway, good save with the wipes. I do wonder what people did before wipes. Oh and juice boxes. Whoever came up with those ideas is a genius.

 
Blogging Secret