November 2, 2006

Try not to panic folks...



Okay -- so here we are...... 30 days away from our official due date of December 2nd..... and it's hard not to be a little on edge.

To begin with, the 'lil Dubya was delivered 5 weeks early -- hence, I've never been 36 weeks pregnant before...... so all the apprehension reserved for first-timers rests firmly on me now as I await the arrival of #2. The night the 'lil man arrived.... I didn't know what was going to happen to me -- I went to the hospital with chest pains for God's sake -- a baby? I wasn't going to have a baby -- I was gonna get laughed at by a bunch of L&D nurses, given some antacid and sent home..... at least that's what I thought. Once we were there I quickly learned I'd be staying a few days -- that's when the drugs kicked in and it all gets blurry.

This go around, we are getting "scheduled". It sounds so ridiculous..... I mean, I'm not one of those people that wants to "pencil-in" the birth of my child. I didn't want to go the c-section route again -- the recovery is long and painful and although I know doing it the old fashioned way is no picnic, it's also not major abdominal surgery. But, given all the crap that happened the last time -- every doctor I've spoken to (and there have been many) has advised me not to risk it -- so, tomorrow morning I go to the doctor and I'll be given my "appointment" which will eventually convert to my child's birthday.

Now, here's where the wrinkle lies..... my due date is Saturday, December 2nd. The doctor's office tends to schedule deliveries for one-week-prior to the due date -- but, being a Saturday -- that puts us at Friday, November 25th...... yeah, it's the day after Thanksgiving. The doctor said he'd have to see what the schedule was like -- but if it's not the day after Thanksgiving and they back it up a few days..... does that mean I'm spending my Thanksgiving in the hospital?? I mean, it really doesn't matter to me -- it's not exactly my favorite holiday and what better to be thankful for than a new baby, but..... gee whiz..... Thanksgiving in the hospital..... not really what I imagined.

Oh well, I suppose we'll find out tomorrow -- won't we?

4 comments:

Kara said...

fingers and toes crossed. We'll visit you in the hospital this time ;)

Mamacita Tina said...

It will all work out. I had an emergency C-Section with my first. Then I went ahead and scheduled it for the second, dreading the recovery. Funny thing, the recovery went a lot smoother for the second. Hopefully, your will too. Best wishes!

Sue said...

Good luck with your appointment! I was scheduled with Clare (not a C-section) and we just didn't tell anyone so it was still a surprise for all.

And, Nov 25th is a really good day - it was my mom's birthday, and she was actually born on Thanksgiving!

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

My daughter was born the day before Thanksgiving, but it wasn't too bad. I've still got the little pine-cone-and-pipe-cleaner crafted turkey that came on my Thanksgiving lunch tray (of turkey, of course). We were so entranced with our daughter that it eclipsed the holiday, but it has made Thanksgiving special in the years since then. The one thing I did wonder about was the staffing; we had some less-than-stellar nurses and I suspected that the more senior ones had gotten the holiday off. Just a theory!

 
Blogging Secret