July 17, 2006

Apparently baby names is a pretty good topic




Thanks so much to everyone who has already contributed to our quest to name the ‘liller Dubya (or Dubya-ette)…. please keep the suggestions coming. Believe it or not, it’s a comfort to know that we aren’t the only ones who struggle with what to name these ‘lil people we are entrusted with.

One thing that struck me as interesting…… is the number of people who commented or emailed me about being “talked out of” a name and wishing they hadn’t been…… I have more than a couple of friends who didn't go with their "first choice" for one reason or another.... and now wish they had stuck to their guns.

So, dear readers, I have another question to pose to you……

Is it okay to name your baby something similar to that of another family member?

For example – if the baby is going to have a cousin named Emma, is it okay to use the name Emily? If the baby is going to have a cousin named Jennifer, is it okay to use the name Jenna? If the baby is going to have a cousin named Danielle, is it okay to use the name Daniel?

I thought it might be okay if the children were going to have different last names….. ex Emma Jones and Emily Smith – but it would be too close if the children shares a last name ex Danielle McDonald and Daniel McDonald…..

The Big Dubya, of course, doesn’t think it matters…..

What do you guys think?

7 comments:

Kiki said...

I have been lurking for a while and this post makes me want to comment. First, I wish I had stuck to my guns about my first boy name. Forever, I had a name picked and twice we haven't used it. Maybe next time? Secondly, I think it is okay to use a similiar name even if they will have the same last name. It is hard, but I don't think that needs to be a deciding factor in name choosing.

Melissa said...

I think it is okay as long as it isn't the same name. We have two Aidens, born 6 months apart. That is just strange. But an Emma and an Emily is not such a big deal.

Just pick something you love and are willing to scream later in life. :)

I have named 6 kids, only two of whom are mine. I love that you are letting us give you ideas.

The Cluck Wagon said...

I agree - similiar is not same. And if you're anything like me, your kids wind up with nicknames anyway.

Kristie said...

I think you shold name the baby whatever you like. who cares if the name is similar? I say you could even use the same name if thats the name you really really like. Stick to your guns. The only people veto-ing names should be you two. No one else.

ClumberKim said...

If you love it, go with it. My niece had a baby the day before me and our kids are both O.Js. Owen James and Oliver James. Different last names.

You have to live with the name every day. Family...not so much.

Your kid...your choice.

Anonymous said...

We didn't use Chloe because it rhymed with Zoe (my brother's daughter).

Anonymous said...

I concur. Name your child whatever you'd like. Family isn't around 365 days a year for 18 years. Your kid is. And I also agree with the nickname thing. How often do you really use their name? It's always something else.

Similar names aren't bad either.

I am giving you freedom. No more guilt! Do what you want and enjoy! :-)

 
Blogging Secret