July 19, 2007

To Croc or not to Croc...


About 6 or 7 years ago, the Big Dubya and I were vacationing on Martha's Vineyard. We were taking a leisurely stroll through Vineyard Haven and came across a guy with a cart. The guy was selling these huge clunky plastic/rubber shoes and was begging us to stop and try them on.

I don't know about you.... but I remember these from the early '80s and figured that they'd probably cut my feet -- so, we kept walking.

Fast forward to 2007 and holy crap -- the clunky plastic/rubber shoes are called Crocs, and they are all the rage.

I've been making fun of these things from the start -- I mean, give me a break.... could they be any more stupid looking? But, Aunt P told me that her girlfriend (a NICU nurse who spends a ton of time on her feet) swears by them, as do all her co-workers. The Big Dubya and I were still skeptical -- but then, we were in Disney and I saw them in one of the shops.... (they had ones w/ Mickey Mouse shaped holes) I just had to try them on -- ya know, see what the fuss was about.

Imagine my shock and surprise -- they are comfortable.

So, tell me readers -- To Croc? or Not to Croc?

10 comments:

ClumberKim said...

Croc. Comfort whups fashion, at least for me. Just don't put any of those "charms" on them or wear 'em on escalators. Mine are generally worn while in the garden. Keens when I'm out in public.

Challenge 20/20 teams said...

Not to Croc!!! Resist, I beg of you!

Get them for the kids. On the kids, they're wicked cute.

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

On toddlers - Croc. On adults - no Crocs, my God, please no Crocs. There are plenty of comfortable but not as ugly shoes out there.

Amy @ Taste Like Crazy said...

I've never worn them because I think they're really ugly. And I will never wear them since my mother-in-law (who's a nurse) says that they're the most comfortable thing she's ever worn on her feet.
So, what I haven't worn can't hurt me.
I totally remember jellies! I think I had like eight pair!

Anonymous said...

No Croc! Mainly because I cant see spending that kind of money on something that probably costs $1 to make.

10 years from now, they will be in the same sentence as fringed leather jackets, parachute pants & legwarmers.

Darren said...

Clare has a pair and so does Sue. They are EVERYWHERE at Disney. I can't get past the look of them though, so I won't be getting any.

Sarahviz said...

I'm a closet Croc wearer. They're hideous, yet shockingly comfy. When my mom or sis come over wearing theirs, I steal them and put them on.

I just can't justify the $30 when I could get a fabulous brand-name fun pair of real shoes at Marshalls or TJMaxx for the same price.

Apparently P said...

I initially was going to say not to Croc, but the garden comment made me think. We had an arborist over the other day to inspect our trees and he was wearing crocs. I cringed, but said nothing. Now it's starting to make sense though. Flip flops with dewy fresh grass in the morning are causing my feet havoc when I walk wonder-mutt. Maybe I need crocs instead. Easy to put on and provides more coverage. But only for walking the dog. Not to be seen in public

CroutonBoy said...

Near as I can tell they are required for all children under the age of 4 (at least in New York). As for adults, I think they indicate pack mentality a complete lack of fashion sense. I'm sure you can find something just as comfortable that doesn't come in lime green...

Peter said...

We all Croc at my house.

 
Blogging Secret