June 19, 2007

While I was on the Dunkin Donuts Website Yesterday



I started reviewing the nutritional information listed for some of Dunkin Donuts yummy products..... it's really odd the things you learn.

See, I've been doing Weight Watchers on and off for 6ish years.... so, seeing that I just recently recommitted myself to losing 10 lbs.... I figured I'd see how many points I should record for my iced coffee (1 point). Then I thought, gee..... let's see what I could eat if I wanted to grab some quick breakfast there.

A lowfat muffin (a misnomer if there ever was one) has 400 calories, 5 grams of fat and 3 grams of dietary fiber. That's 8 points in Weight Watcher language -- compared to a regular blueberry muffin which has 470 calories, 17 grams of fat and only 2 grams of dietary fiber.... uhm, yeah -- 10 points people. 10 points!

To give you non-weight-watcher people a frame of reference, someone my size, striving to be in the neighborhood of125 pounds gets 20 points for a whole day! In fairness to Dunkin Donuts, they don't call the muffin "low-fat" they call it "reduced-fat" -- but, still.... doesn't seem like such a bargain to me.

I think I'd more thoroughly enjoy splurging on a honey-dipped (they call them glazed here in CT) donut for 4 points (180 calories, 8 grams of fat and 1 gram of dietary fiber).
Now, maybe it's me being clueless about such matters.... but before I looked all this up.... if you had asked me which would be less offensive to my diet, a reduced fat blueberry muffin or a jelly donut -- I wouldn't have given my answer a second thought.

I would have declared the muffin was the obvious choice, wouldn't you? -- but nope.

A jelly donut has 210 calories, 8 grams of fat and 1 gram of dietary fiber..... or 5 WW Points.

If I ruled the world.... dieting would be easy and beverages and condiments would be calorie free.

5 comments:

Apparently P said...

I knew about the muffin, but I agree. When given the choice you'd think it would be better for you than a donut. You also have to beware of bagels. Most of them are so big that they end up coming out to be 5 or 6 points and that's before you put anything on it and nobody likes a naked bagel!

Sue said...

What Aunt P said. Bagels are actually worse for you than the donuts, which seems to defy all logic.

Kara said...

mmmmmm... donuts

M&Co. said...

When I did WW several years ago, I could tell you what the points were for all the stuff I loved at all the places I loved.

When I was desperate, I'd take a graham cracker, sprinkle it with a tablespoon of the mini chocolate chips and zap it in the microwave for a short while. It was a low point treat and is was delicious!

Anonymous said...

i think you'll like the tipping point
you should try reading blink by gladwell first tho

 
Blogging Secret