June 18, 2007

Cheers!



So, the 'lil Dubya must have seen us doing it while we were on vacation.... 'cause now he walks around with his sippy-cup slamming it into whatever we happen to be drinking and exclaiming CHEERS! with a little British accent (yes, I'm not sure how or why..... but he's got a bit of a British accent).
It's very, very cute.
Growing up, we had a neighbor and every evening at 5:00 or 5:30 -- she'd announce "Cocktail Time!" and she'd fix everyone a drink.
It didn't necessarily have to be an alcoholic drink -- the kids would get apple juice, a Shirley Temple or something like that in a cute glass (just to make it special) -- she and her husband might have a glass of wine, a beer or an iced tea or coffee.... whatever the mood called for.
It was just a nice treat in the afternoon -- to sit and have a chat while dinner was coming together.
I really liked her "Cocktail Time" and hoped that I'd institute it in my house when I grew up..... but, I haven't -- yet.
Our house, like so many is crazy hectic in the time between arriving home and sitting down to dinner -- we could probably benefit from a few minutes to catch our breaths and have a cocktail.
Maybe we'll start that tonight....
This topic really came to mind when I read this article about underage drinking. The article itself bothers me on a few levels.... primarily because this is important stuff and I think the article fails to discuss the real issue. Instead, they dial it in and take the easy way out..... dealing with extremes and absolutes -- not even acknowledging the grayer areas.
Here's what I mean -- the family they use as examples are the EXTREME -- I mean, Mr & Mrs Bonehead went and bought booze for their 16-year old son's birthday and let him & his friends get hammered on their watch -- and now they are shocked to be going to jail. How is this the sole basis for a story about underage drinking in the home? These people gave booze to other people's kids? They let these kids get hammered in their home -- and think they a trophy because they didn't let the kids drive home after.
The article goes on to discuss the physiological repercussions of children who drink too much -- again, a very narrow view of teens who are allowed to drink at home.
Let me be clear, I was not allowed to drink at home when I was a teen -- I was almost 30 before I felt comfortable having a beer in front of my mother (I still feel like I get the evil eye when I drink in front of her) -- and I do not condone the behavior of these parents or any who would think to throw their 16 year old a keg party.
However, these are not the only plausible scenarios -- it's not necessarily an all (your kid gets shitfaced at home every weekend) or nothing (no alcohol is allowed in the house ever) matter.
Growing up, we were allowed to have a half a glass of champagne to participate in a celebratory wedding toast -- I think that's okay.
We were allowed to have a half a glass a wine at Christmas dinner -- again, I think that's okay.
My parents would never have dreamed of offering alcohol to one of our friends -- that is never okay. They would not have allowed us to get hammered or out of control -- again, not okay ever.
I've posted my thoughts on alcohol consumption in front of children here before.... and I took some heat for it -- oh well. But, isn't the best way to teach your children about responsible behavior (regarding alcohol or anything else) -- by setting a responsible example?

2 comments:

Darren said...

Very cute about the lil' Dubya. Clare had a bit of accent for a while too...now she just has a kid accent. She also had her first beer when she was three--she chugged a few sips while nobody was looking at my college reunion. That's been her last beer for a while too, but I like the idea of cocktail hour for the rest of us.

Kara said...

dude--- I couldn't read the rest of this after the first sentence. I thought you said he saw you DOING IT and then laughed too hard to finish the rest of the post when I realized I was wrong..

 
Blogging Secret