January 31, 2008

How do these guys stay in business?



I was just cleaning out my purse..... it's a sea of receipts, loose change and expired coupons that I forgot to use.... and I came across a receipt from the worst restaurant to ever grace the planet.... Sbarro.

I have no idea how Sbarro stays in business -- I don't know a single person who actually enjoys eating there. Have any of you guys ever gotten something edible from this place?

If I hate it so much, why do I have a receipt?

Ah, smart reader..... that's a good question.

You see, when driving yourself and two babies from the nortwest hills of CT to Atlantic City, New Jersey -- you may find yourself in a situation where you & the kids need a snack and a diaper change (the kids need the diaper, not you). So, you pull over to one of the filthy fine rest stops on the Garden State Parkway and you survey your options.

Okay, I know.... my kids are the only ones in America who refuse to eat chicken nuggets.

So, I figured -- maybe a side of pasta and a slice of pizza -- that's a decent lunch for the three of us to share.

First of all -- $7.59 for a small side of pasta -- are you f'ing insane???? then $3.29 for a slice of "it's been sittin' around for a while" cheese pizza. And then, they tell me that in order to get milk.... I have to go over to Burger King. So, picture me -- 5½ months pregnant with a 1-year old and a 2-year old having to balance a tray of food and make my way to BK to buy milk while trying to keep the 'lil dubya and the 'lil dubyette from running away. In fairness, the 'lil dubya was a champ and helped keep his sister in line..... but still, you'd think that they'd make it a little bit easier. Did I mention the "family" rest room with no diaper changing station????
So, for $14.63 (after a soda and tax) not to mention the $2+ I paid BK for a thimble of milk the kids and I had a lunch that we normally wouldn't feed the neighbor's dog..... we ended up throwing most of it away -- and I HATE wasting food.
Seriously, how do they stay in business calling that food?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun! Kiddo didn't like chicken nuggets when she was that age, either. I still feed her those vegan soy nuggets and she loves those. The first time I fed her a McDonalds nugget she took one bite and threw it at me.

She's gotten over her nugget aversion but she's the only kid on earth who won't eat a French fry. She prefers of order off the grownup menu because she doesn't really like fried food (and most kids menu fare is pretty unhealthy)

We don't know where she came from.

Darren said...

Sbarro's one of those places I go into about once every two years and then vow never to go back.

 
Blogging Secret