February 6, 2007

I can't drive 55!



So, back in October......

I was 8 mos pregnant driving from CT back to Boston with the 'lil man (then16 mos) in the backseat. And yes, I got pulled over...... going way too fast.

I thought the officer might show some mercy -- I was visibly (and hugely) pregnant and I had a crying baby in the backseat. In all honesty, I had sped up so that I could get from I-84 to the MassPike and stop at the first rest stop for a snack and a diaper change.

Unfortunately for me, all he felt was the need to write me one big-fat-ticket. When I say big & fat, I mean to the tune of something north of $300. When I got home, I filled out the form to request a hearing in hopes of getting the fine reduced -- I was going too fast -- but this penalty is a bit excessive.

Well, I got my court date -- it was set for January 4th. When the big day arrived, I had come down with that awful virus and could hardly tear myself away from the porcelain pony.... never mind go plead my case, so.... I blew it off. I assumed that they'd simply issue me a bill and I'd get stuck paying the damn ticket.

Instead, I got a letter with a new date and a threat to issue a warrant for my arrest if I didn't show. Well, on the new date..... I was going to be in AC with Dubya and the kids as well as Aunt P, Mr Tall Guy and Granny. What to do, what to do....... there was no phone number, so I sent a letter asking for an alternate date via priority mail to the clerk.... and prayed for the best.

Well, my new date is Thursday..... and I'm suddenly very nervous and unsure as to what to say. I've heard that you can offer to make a donation to a charity in lieu of paying the fee. Although a donation would be stiff, it would be for a good cause and it would avoid any points on my licence.

Anyone want to offer suggestions?

11 comments:

Peter said...

Tell the truth, poop in the lil'mans pants, being as pregnant as you were you had to pee, and you were driving to fast.
Apologize and cross your fingers.

Anonymous said...

Can you bring the kids with you?

How could they give you a ticket with two such cute kids??

Andie D. said...

Apologize, look as contrite as possible, mention all the circumstances.

If that doesn't work, hate to say it, but it works....

You could cry. I've never received a speeding ticket. I have cried.

In my own defense though, each time I was incredibly stressed out and/or sleep deprived, so it certainly wasn't acting.

Sue said...

I would stick with the truth. Maybe you'll get lucky and the cop won't show up for some reason and it'll get thrown out.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

For speeding pregnant with a baby in the car you deserve to cop a fine. How dumb can you be? If you crashed that would be three lives lost... selfish.

Anonymous said...

There's always one that has to make a "holier than thou" comment....

Anonymous said...

Just keep getting continuances. With each continuance there is a greater chance that the cop won't show up. If the cop doesn't show up the case gets thrown out.

*The above is not intended to constitute legal advice nor should it be relied upon as such. It is merely my personal experience with a lead foot.

Apparently P said...

I'm her sister and I agree that speeding while pregnant was not her best idea, but I at least had enough backbone to say it to her face. If you feel strongly enough to say a comment, why not own up to it? Especially in a blog. It's not as if she can reach out and give you a cyber smack. In persona however... well you know how sisters can be. I could have been fatally injured...

Michael said...

Say you're sorry, tell the truth, bring the kids, and say you really can't afford the ticket right now. My wife did this and the Judge let her off with a warning.
Good Luck.

Anonymous said...

Teach your children well, they will drive like you, learn to take responsiblity for their actions from you. If you want ot be a speeding whinney, guess what your teenage children will be.
Traffice fines for speeding, running stop signs, not signaling, and other moving violations should be double when children are in the car.

Sue said...

I'm jealous. Mrs. big Dubya has a troll. All the cool kids get one!

 
Blogging Secret