February 5, 2007



So, I go back to work next week..... I'm so sad about it, I get a bit weepy when I even think about it -- but it's a necessary evil and there will never be a "good" time to go back -- so..... back I'm going.

Granny's gonna come and stay with the 'lil lady for a few weeks -- just to ease me back into things before I have to hand her over to daycare. Don't get me wrong, I've been very pleased with the care the 'lil man's received at daycare -- but..... even after a year -- I still get sad leaving him there in the morning and I'll be heartbroken leaving them both there. If only the Big Dubya would keep his promise to win the powerball -- I could stay home with them and go out of my mind full-time.

My diet..... well, it's kind of at a stand-still. I haven't gained any back.... but I haven't lost any more either. I still need to lose 6lbs -- in the grand scheme of things I recognize that this is not a huge number -- but it's important to me. I had hoped to get rid of the extra weight before I went back to work -- that's not going to happen so it's time to get serious.

Aunt P got married last August and put on a few newlywed pounds -- she and I have been doing Weight Watchers together, but we both acknowledge that we need to kick it up a notch. So, beginning today -- we are starting a program. Participation in this program (for me) was partially inspired by Cape Buffalo and Arwen, the spicy elf -- they trained for and completed a half marathon last month..... honestly, that's a bit too ambitious for me. It's partially a cop-out, but not entirely.... I work full-time, I have a husband, a house and two kids under two. I probably could find the time to make that kind of commitment, but honestly.... at this point -- I don't really want to. I want to spend as much time as I can with my babies -- but I need to carve out a little time to take care of myself --

Anyway, Aunt P found a program -- told me about it and it seems to fit the bill. It's called the couch to 5K program and it's designed for people like me who aren't runners, are out of shape and need to train gradually -- so.... here goes nothin'. I even got Aunt P to treat me to an iPod (yes, she & I were the only two people left on the planet that didn't own an ipod), so that I can use the podcasts -- I have the greatest sister EVER!

I've also joined the super coolest book club evah! -- I used to read all the time. When I took the train to work in the city, I had plenty of time to read and I devoured books. Well, now that I drive to work and have my children -- I haven't been making time to read and it's a crime. So, when this opportunity presented itself, I jumped at the chance.

Now that I'm wrapping up, I realize that this post is about nothing..... oops, sorry -- I'll try harder tomorrow.

5 comments:

Sue said...

Don't feel badly - I don't have an iPod either!

Good luck with the running. I am in awe of your ability to work full time, parent two kids and a husband....

I wish I had some magic words to make going back to work easier, but it just sucks. Mr Big Dubya doesn't qualify for any leave? Even just a month? (sorry if I'm getting too personal)....

Unknown said...

I've started the C25K program several times over the years, but only finally did the whole thing start to finish last summer. I did so well until it got cold. And dark. The best thing I did when I first started running was join a running club. I happened to find a Moms in Motion chapter just starting up, and it was probably the one thing that kept me going when I wanted to quit. We were all just a bunch of beginner runners looking to get some exercise. And out of the house for a couple hours. Another thing that helped was signing up for a race right away.

I just started Weight Watchers this week! Does it still count as baby weight if I gained it after she was born?

Mrs Big Dubya said...

Sue, don't be awed.... I haven't figured it out just yet!

Brandi, good for you. I'm fortunate in that I have a treadmill in the basement -- so, even when the weather is bad I have no excuse.

My sister is shopping around for a race for us as I type -- so..... pressure's on!

Unknown said...

IRON GIRL! There's one in Boston with a "to be determined" date. www.irongirl.com I've never run one, but I hear they're a blast. I'll be doing Iron Girl Denver in June.

Anonymous said...

There's a 5K in Boston in September. Nice and flat. Think you'll be ready for the Falmouth road race this summer?

The treadmill is my best friend. Do you have a jogging stroller? I'll give you ours if you need one.

 
Blogging Secret