February 7, 2007

Playdates & Cocktails



I do not watch the Today Show.... generally when it's on I'm already at work -- but even when I'm home I don't watch..... probably because I think that for the most part they are biased left-wing nut jobs... but, when I was out having my car repaired this morning, it was on in the waiting room and I caught this segment.

First of all.... I've never seen women dressed this well at any play date I've been to (for that matter, I've never seen kids playing outdoors manage to stay that clean) and while I'm at it, I've never seen a mother serve drink boxes to all the kids on a tray.... but I digress

The segment was a follow up to one that aired a few weeks ago. These mothers have weekly play dates and while the kids are playing, they chat and enjoy a glass of wine or a cocktail nearby. Apparently, the Today Show was inundated with emails, letters, etc. outraged at the prospect of these Mom's enjoying alcohol in the presence of their children.

Both sides of the "issue" (is this really an "issue"?) were represented -- and of course the standard points were made "you wouldn't have a problem with a child seeing his dad have a beer while watching football" -- "shouldn't we be modeling responsible moderation for our children"

Okay -- not that anybody asked for it.... but here's my 2 cents. There is no need to get plastered in front of your children -- you are responsible for their safety and well-being so you need to be on your toes and god-forbid they need some sort of transportation or medical attention. However, you did not totally surrender you life when you became a mother.... if you enjoy the occasional glass of wine -- have it. It's good for kids to see mommy take care of herself -- Happy Mommy = Happy Kids

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are a genius. Mrs. Big Dubya for president in 2008 (you're SO much better than any of the contenders thus far and you'd give me a nice excuse to vote for someone with their head screwed on straight).

Anonymous said...

Today Show
Re: Wine & Play Days

I may have missed it, but I don’t recall hearing anyone address the idea that these mothers are demonstrating to their children that alcohol has a place in everything.
Child safety and mother’s dependence aside, these mothers are promoting alcohol use by example. Can’t they wait until the kids are in bed to “unwind?”

Sue said...

I think this is just part of a bigger issue where moms are supposed to be held to a higher standard. If someone wants to have a glass of wine, or a beer, while with their kids, I don't understand the big deal.

Good lord, we used to beg my dad for sips of his beer on hot days. That stopped once we started chugging half his beer. No one ever was on the Today Show telling him he was "bad".

Next we'll be told we can't have Nyquil when we're sick!

Mamacita Tina said...

Somewhere, I read, "If this were Europe, it wouldn't even be an issue." No kidding!

mr. big dubya said...

I'm not sure where Anonymous **cough** coward **cough** is going with this "holier than thou." I may have missed something in all this discussion, but I don't recall anything about a mother's dependence nor do I hear anyone talking about mothers getting all blottoed and not being able to take care of their children.

It appears to me that those who have the most problem with this are those with poles lodged firmly in their backsides. That's right kids, abandon any semblance of your adult life when you have children - you cease to exist. Drink your beers when the children are in bed - make sure the room is dark and you're in the corner somewhere - wouldn't want them to come down and see mommy or daddy having a beer or glass of wine. That would be irresponsible. But hiding it, that's ok, right? That doesn't send the wrong message AT. ALL.

 
Blogging Secret