July 22, 2008

I'm so yesterday


Facebook ...... Linked In ....... Twitter

Let's be honest.... I've never been "cutting edge." I started this blog because the Big Dubya started his and it looked like fun. I liked reading his thoughts on impending parenthood.... and then, after the 'lil man arrived, his take on the parental challenges we were facing together.

Other friends joined the blogsphere and I began reading other parents' blogs.... it's been a mostly positive experience and I've even expanded my blogging to other interests beyond parenthood.

But..... lately, I'm feeling like a technological fossil

Twitter? what's Twitter? The Big Dubya described it as informal IM'ing..... huh? I don't get it.

I recently emailed hubby's sister-in-law and asked for some pictures of their new baby.... she responded -- they are on Facebook..... huh? what's Facebook? The Big Dubya described it as something like MySpace..... huh? What's MySpace? To me, MySpace is that thing that's always on the news -- being linked to kids getting molested or kidnapped.... doesn't sound that safe.

Aunt P sent me an invitation to LinkedIn -- I know it's great for professional networking, but I'm hesitant.

I'm hesitant on all of these.... I like the anonymity of the internet -- I don't want people to be able to find me. Correction.... there are some people that I don't want to be able to find me and I don't want to risk having some sick pervs looking at pictures of my kids.

Am I a paranoid nutjob?

4 comments:

Arwen said...

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you...
That being said, I have done all that stuff except twitter because that sounds like an even bigger time suck than facebook. You can choose to post pix. I have found a bunch of old friends via linkedin and facebook so am pretty happy with them (and I can play scrabble with people in CT and stuff...

Sue said...

Don't feel badly. I barely blog, will never understand Facebook even though I'm on there (and just foolishly added my maiden name so people could find me)and joined LinkedIn for the networking aspect. Twitter is beyond me.

What I want to know is, don't people have jobs? That expect them to do things besides Facebook, Linkedin and Twitter?

Darren said...

I've been back and forth with the concern about pictures and someone possibly being able to pinpoint where we live. At this point though, it's not to hard to find me. I figure eventually we're all going to be out there on the internet to find anyway.

I do like when I catch up with someone I haven't spoken to in years. I haven't done Twitter though--it just seems like too much work and possibly the biggest drain on free time.

Unknown said...

I don't get twitter either. I do follow a few people's twitter feeds, but I don't understand the how and why of it. I joined Myspace a couple years ago solely because that's where our 10-year high school reunion information was (has it been 2 years already!?), but I feel so awkward and out of tune on there so I haven't checked it in a long time. I've never even heard of linkedin!

 
Blogging Secret