February 13, 2008

Dear Red Sox



Dear Red Sox,

How is it possible that you can pay Manny $17 million this year, but can't afford a decent online ticketing system, huh? ......

Last night, I was beyond delighted to get an email saying:

Dear Mrs Big Dubya,

Great News! You've been selected in our second chance drawing for the opportunity to purchase tickets for one of the following games to be played at Fenway Park in 2008: Opening Day (4/8 versus the Detroit Tigers) or one of the nine contests versus the New York Yankees (4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 7/25, 7/26, 7/27, 9/26, 9/27, 9/28).


C'mon guys -- you can imagine my delight..... for those of you keeping track, I had tickets to a game v/s the Yankees last year -- but at the last minute opted to let Mr Big Dubya take 39 on the double-date we'd planned with the Buffalos because I had sick babes and needed to put their needs above my own.

Anyway I was thrilled for a second chance and so as instructed (by the very strict email I might add) I logged in at 12:00 and here I am at 2:07..... still in the virtual waiting room.

back to my letter

I understand the need to find a fair mechanism for selling/distributing tickets and the opportunity to buy them -- but...... when tickets can run up to $90 a piece.... the people who can afford to buy them are people who have jobs and can't necessarily sit in front of their computer for 2+ hours on a Wednesday praying that they can get out of this "virtual waiting room" that teases you with a "refresh" every 30 seconds.

And, didn't your mother teach you any manners..... if you are going to have us over.... give us some snacks or something!

Sincerley,
Mrs Big Dubya

Update: 2:58 still waiting
Update: 3:09 success.... thank Gawd!

5 comments:

Arwen said...

Don't get me started. I wanted to bring Noodle to her first game and we will be in Boston in August. I missed the start of the sale by 6 hours (6 hours!) and all the game are sold out from their website but if I go to stub hub and pay 3-4X the original price then I can get any tickets I want for that show. I am not sure how much games were in 1977 but I bet my parents didn't have to pay $100 a ticket for nose bleed seats.

Sue said...

The cost of tickets (and what you have to go through to get them) is just ridiculous. I remember back in 1996 I could get opening day tickets (Yankees, not Red Sox) without having to wait online for hours on the first day they went on sale.

Have fun at the game!

Kara said...

Oh for the misspent days of my youth at one of the Colleges of the Fenway. We could decide to ditch class and be in the bleachers with a cold one within 30minutes. Of course, they weren't winning many games, let alone World Series then!

Anonymous said...

What the hell? I got the same e-mail from the Sox yesterday, only I don't get to buy until today! I'm not even getting leftovers... I'm getting leftover leftovers. RF Grandstand obstructed-view seats, here I come...

Darren said...

I almost miss when the teams sucked and you could buy seats on game day.

 
Blogging Secret