May 6, 2008


Apparently, I'm not alone in the baby-name-struggle.

Crazy friends
and Chicky friends are grappling with this too.......

I grew up with THE most common name -- let's just say, that there were 100 girls in my class (all girls school, natch) and there were 13 of us..... yes 13 girls with the same freakin' name -- 5 in my homeroom alone.

I refuse to do that to a kid.

On the other hand, I don't want his/her name to be so obscure that nobody's ever heard of it or that it can't be pronounced by the teacher on the first day of school each year.

Why is it so hard -- a name that is pronounceable, spellable -- yet, not common or ordinary. Pressure's on kids..... HELP!!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish I could help! We're definitely struggling with names too. It's mostly my fault because I have such specific requirements this time around.
1. They have to start with a C and E. The E is giving us a so much trouble!
2. At least one of them has to be a Spanish-sounding name. I'm half hispanic with a very American name, so my relatives can't say it and end up calling me Brenda.
3. It can't be too popular. We already have one kid with a "top 10" name!

Arwen said...

I already told you Rex is a great name. So regal! No really, I like Finnegan and the nickname be Finn. I have a feeling it's a boy so I won't give a girl's name.

Sue said...

Since I am procrastinating at work and Google is a wonderful thing, here are the top 5 Irish baby names for 2006:

Boys: Sean, Jack, Conor, Adam, James

Girls: Sarah, Emma, Katie, Aoife, Sophie

Personally, for boys I like: Liam, Ciaran, Padraig and Shamus (Seamus?). Girls names: Maeve, Moira, Kerry and Ciara.

Anonymous said...

It seems obvious to me: Jacoby if it's a boy, Coco if it's a girl. (Unless there's a trade, in which case all bets are off.)

 
Blogging Secret