October 14, 2005

Ode to Working From Home



Anybody who's even modestly successful in their career has worked from home.... officially or unofficially. Teachers grade papers, dream up assignments, read textbooks, come up with lesson plans..... people in my line of work (investment tax are always reading up on new legislation, investment instruments.... blah, blah, blah. So, working at home is not a new concept for me.... but, what I did learn today is that working at home and working from home are not the same thing. I've often taken work home with me so that I didn't have to stay at the office late, or spend my entire weekend there..... but this morning, I actually conducted a conference call from the very kitchen stool I am sitting on now..... I was in my jammies.... I wasn't wearing a bra!

I struck a deal with my boss (who doesn't believe non-traditional work arrangements work) that I could work from home on Fridays, but would make myself available to be in the office during our peak busy times (quarter-end, year-end....). So far, it's worked out okay..... I stayed home the first two Fridays, last Friday I went into the office because we were busy, and today I'm home. I thought it would be hard, but I think I actually get more work done at home. Granted, when the 'lil guy calls I have to put stuff aside, but..... I don't have the hour+ each way commute.... I don't have to spend time getting myself ready, dropping the 'lil guy off, and I don't get interrupted with phone calls or people stopping by with issues for me to deal with.

I'm not sure I could work at home full-time, but I'm wicked grateful my boss was willing to conduct this little experiment with me..... I think he's going to be pleased with the results (I hope!)

0 comments:

 
Blogging Secret