January 5, 2006

Riding in the lap of luxury



My mother (Granny) is turning the big four-oh this year (well, actually the big six-oh, but we are humoring her). In celebration of this momentous milestone, Aunt P and I are surprising her with a surprise long-weekend in Las Vegas. My mother is a cute Irish lady who loves Bingo and slot machines.... to her, Las Vegas is a slice of heaven.... the only thing that makes it sweeter for her is that it's a surprise and she doesn't have to pay!

Aunt P and I have been conspiring for months.... and the plans have really started to take shape in the past few days.... to the point where we have a weekend selected, we've booked flights, we've booked a hotel and we've concocted a story that Granny has bought -- hook, like and sinker!

In the course of making the final arrangements -- I thought, hey -- wouldn't it be icing on the cake if we got a limo to take us to the airport? As it turns out, it only costs slightly more than three tickets on the Logan Express (shuttle bus from our hometown to the airport) and it's quite a bit more impressive. So, I started to poke around the internet..... trying to find a good deal that I could use to coerce Aunt P with (she's far more sensible about this stuff than I am) and I found and ad for this place and thought it must be a joke -- people actually get limos for "Baby's First Ride"? and for this place. Are you kidding me? There are parents out there that get limos for Kid's birthday parties???? "Bring your child and his/her friends out for a birthday celebration! Go to Fun World, Pizza, Ice Cream or anywhere in the local area."

My mother, the woman who has given us the world is turning 60 and I'm wondering if a limo to the airport is a wee bit too extravagant -- and there are nutjobs out there who are renting limos for children's outings????

UGHHH!

3 comments:

Susan said...

But would the limo pick my kids up and take them to school?

Because THAT would be worth it . . .

Pete said...

perhaps they are some kind of educational limo??

Apparently P said...

I couldn't even get a limo for the prom. Well that's not true, we booked one but it broke down on its way to get us and instead we had a luxury van. Yup, a van with seats - very luxurious. No limo for Aunt P... Maybe if I ever get around to planning my wedding...

 
Blogging Secret