March 1, 2006

I think I'm about to be fired



Well, no, not really, but......

I'm a type-A..... it's annoying I know, but that's me. I've been in my current job almost 3 years and have never once called in sick..... not even during my 9 months of pregnancy which included 5 months of all-day-sickness. I get close-to stellar performance reviews.... I meet my due dates and my deadlines -- my clients love me -- I'm generally a model employee...... low maintenance.

That all ended about a month ago. I thought I had the whole working-mother thing nailed -- I really did. The 'lil man's had some head colds and some tummy bugs...... and anytime he needed to stay home, the Big Dubya handled it. He works in the family-friendly non-profit world..... he works in a place where people put their families first and they understand that children get sick, and parents need to stay home with them.

I work in the corporate world..... the man's world. I've been somewhat successful in my career and have worked my way up to what I guess you could call upper-middle-management.... if there is such a thing.... almost everyone at my level is a man.... or a woman who has, for one reason or another, has decided not to have a family. All of these men have wives who stay home with their children -- so staying home with a sick child is a non-issue for them.

Well here we are..... the 'lil man is still fighting this tummy bug.... we've been to the doctor.... it's just a virus and needs to run its course. The Big Dubya has started to feel the strain.... even in a family-friendly workplace, you don't want to go to the well too many times..... and he feels he's at that point. So, I stayed home on Monday -- I wanted to keep him home yesterday, but we sent him to daycare --- only to have him sent home and I'm home with him today. Normally, I wouldn't feel too bad about calling in twice in one week.... but did it have to come on the heels of my Vegas debacle? or did it have to fall the week they are finalizing bonuses & pay raises?

I guess the bottom line is that my job is important to me.... and being a top performer is important to me, but neither will ever be more important than my 'lil man...... so, I guess if I get penalized for missing too much time.... well, that's the way it goes, huh?

5 comments:

Kara said...

sounds like it's time for a visit from super granny. i hate roping my mom into emergency duty, but i know she loves to do it when she has the time...

Sue said...

It's very hard. You feel like you're not giving 100% to anyone - your child, your job or your husband.

Even though your bosses may have wives who stayed home with their kids, hopefully they'll understand.

I hope the Lil' Dubya starts feeling better soon, and everyone stays healthy!

Anonymous said...

I can't stand that we should have to choose. I love my job and I am in the same situation that you are in, but I adore my children. I use my mom too.

mama speak said...

Maybe you can spin it with them—they’re realizing how valuable you are to them. You’ve recently had a few mishaps, but it’s not a pattern so maybe it can work in your favor. Spin, spin, spin.

Anonymous said...

I have been fighting this a lot too. Ironically, I work in the non-profit world with a female boss who never had children.

Hang in there. They can't be sick forever right?

 
Blogging Secret