November 28, 2005

'Tis the Season



'Tis the season..... for Christmas specials.

Hubby has posted his top 5 and a few honorable mentions over at Dadcentric, and of course Aunt P and I had to comment that he left out an important one and included a stupid one. But he failed to discuss how this all came up.... I suppose it's possible he already had his post perculating in his brain, but..... seeing that we just discussed it yesterday, I'm suspicous.

Anyway, I thought I'd add my two cents. Once upon a time, when we were all young whipper-snappers, we had one chance and one chance only to catch these holiday gems. If you missed it, you missed it. Then VCRs came along, you could record the special -- and that changed things a little bit. But then, everything changed with the DVD (well, maybe some were available on VHS) -- these kids today can watch these classics whenever they want -- and despite the convenience factor..... I think its lousy. Yes, it's nice that when the 'lil man screams I can pause the DVD and/or Tivo and run to see to him, but.... where's the magic?

I went to set the Tivo to record Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer which is on CBS on Wednesday at 8pm and the Big Dubya chastised me -- reminding me that we own the DVD. Yes, but it's different -- it's not Christmas when you watch it on DVD..... it's Christmas when CBS airs it. A fixed time, a sole opportunity almost forces families to sit down and watch together -- a DVD enables things to get in the way. Yes, I realize that a DVD enables some families to watch when it works for everyone, but I bet more and more families postpone and postpone until the time has passed.....

I'm gonna watch on Wednesday -- but rest assured, if you miss it ABC Family's got your back

2 comments:

Apparently P said...

Another one that hasn't been mentioned yet is They night they saved Christmas starring Jaclyn Smith. I'm not sure even ABC Family is showing it anymore, but it's an 80's classic...

Unknown said...

Thanks for the heads up on Rudolph! I'm with you that there's something magical about catching them on tv. More often than not, though, I forget that they're on or don't hear about it until it's too late.

 
Blogging Secret