August 17, 2005

It really is just a pretty face


The last couple of days, I've been fretting about whether or not to bring my breast pump on vacation..... 'lil Dubya has to take an RX 3 times a day -- it's mixed with breast milk and given to him in a bottle just before his feeding.... it would also be handy to have so that I could get some away time and either Granny or Aunt P could give him a bottle -- so, I was trying to figure out the best way to accomplish this without bringing the big bulky pump. I do have a hand pump that I got for free at the hospital -- but OUCH!

Now, when I purchased my pump, 'Lil Dubya was still in the hospital and I was pumping every 3 hours and delivering all the little bottles to the NICU for the nurses to feed him -- I also knew that I'd be pumping every day when I go back to work, so I bought the Cadillac of breast pumps.... the Medela Pump In Style (please note, there is nothing stylish about this medieval torture device). Anyway, it comes in this supposedly convenient back-pack blah, blah, blah -- it's big & awkward. I have the diaper bag as my carry-on, so I was going to pack the back-pack in my suitcase -- which would require me to bring a big honking suitcase in order to fit the pump, my clothes, his clothes, baby blankets, burp clothes, diapers, wipes.... you see where I'm going with this.

Aunt P told me to just bring the big case or let Granny bring the pump as a carry-on...... what's the big deal (she was probably tired of listening to me fret). Then.... in the middle of the night (literally) it hit me.... I wonder if the mechanism that is the pump comes out of the back-pack... enabling me to bring just the pump part and not the whole back-pack. Sure enough, the pump slides out of the back-pack YAAAAYYYY -- I can use the small suitcase and still bring the pump without the damn backpack that has tons of "convenient" compartments... none of which are a size that fit anything useful.

I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of this very obvious solution sooner, I mean DRRRRR it's not rocket science, but... better late than never. Not sure if I'll be posting over the next few days.... depends on Aunt P and her gift of procrastination.... as predicted, she was up 'til all hours of the night wrapping up work..... I'm guessing it'll be around noon when she decides to bring the laptop to do work on the plane, but..... we'll see

In other news, I was thrilled to learn I actually have readers who aren't related to me.... thanks for the comments. Lastly, the Big Dubya deserves props -- he's been very supportive during our battle with colic and he didn't even wince when he put my suitcase in the car this morning before he left for work.... he's a keeper.

2 comments:

Apparently P said...

Just think, if you had never had 'lil dubya, you'd never know so much about breast pumps! I'm glad everything worked out and you were able to get away with the little suitcase. I on the other hand packed this morning and I've got a massive bag with me that will cloth both of us for the next month!

Corinne said...

:) Nice to know someone else is out there other than the folks you already know, eh? :) Glad you got the whole pump thing figured out. Thankfully, my aunt (who also bought the cadilac of breast pumps) is done having babies, and is passing her pump down to me... so my only purchase will be the new tubes and bottles (YAY!)... PLUS, I now know that I can travel with the beastly thing when we visit family :) Hope you guys have a great trip down to Disney... tell Snow White hello for me (guess I always related to her because I'm fair skinned as well)... :)

 
Blogging Secret