August 8, 2005

When a man loves a woman


No, he doesn't send her a Valentine or flowers (well, maybe he does....) he takes a bullet for her -- and today, the Big Dubya took a really big one for me

This afternoon, we took 'Lil Dubya to the pediatrician for his two month check-up (he's up to an impressive 6lbs 15oz) and that meant shots. 'Lil Dubya had spent the majority of the morning miserable, whiney, cranky, needy and a total Mammy's boy -- so bringing him to the doctor was only going to make matters worse. I held him as the nurse weighed & measured him and then the doctor came in to do his examination -- and I held him throughout. Then it a happened, the doctor began preparing to administer the shots -- and with each syringe, the lump in my throat got bigger and bigger, my only hope was that I didn't cry more than my little man -- it was certainly a possibility.

Just as the doctor walked toward me, the Big Dubya stepped in and took the 'Lil Dubya out of my arms -- proclaiming that Daddy would be the bad guy this time. I've never felt so relieved, or so loved -- Dubya didn't have to do it, he could have sat quietly and let me be the bad guy -- mothers take their babies for shots all the time -- but he knew how I was dreading it and how it would break my heart and so he stepped in. He was tough, I know it wasn't easy for him -- but he held our tiny little baby while the doctor stuck him with the shots that made him scream. I couldn't even watch -- I sat in the corner, averted my eyes and cried right along with my tiny little man.....

It may not have been flowers, but..... anybody can buy flowers

2 comments:

Apparently P said...

That's so sad! I teared up just reading it! Poor little guy. At least he doesn't have to go back for a while...

Kara said...

that's the sweetest thing.
ever.

 
Blogging Secret